Monday, March 6, 2017

Je voudrais parler français!


I very much enjoy my “consultations”, which are what patient visits are called here. 
Many of the concerns with which the women and couples present are identical to the ones with which they presented in my US practice. The nurses have been good about trying to give me English speaking patients but there aren’t as many of those and, even with that, there are communication challenges. So many people here speak at least two languages, French and English, and often more than two, that I am embarrassed by my own limited abilities. But staff and patients are always gracious as I try my best and they thoroughly enjoy my inability to grasp what seem like very simply phrases to them! Smiles and warm touches usually bridge the gap.

patients waiting to be seen

No comments:

Post a Comment