Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Unanswerable Questions and Motorbike Marvels


We have just returned from a three day trip to Shisong where the Sisters have their motherhouse and St. Elizabeth’s Hospital. It was an adventure complete with a truck breakdown in the middle of the bush, delicious French pastry, a loving gift of sandals for my heat swollen feet, and encounters with the federal police!
I was honored to meet everyone from the novices to the Provincial Superior and to tour this amazing place with its own water purification system; large gardens and animals to provide food for everyone; schools for training young people entering nursing, midwifery and laboratory technology; and, of course, the hospital. St. Elizabeth’s is not only a general hospital, but is also a cardiac center where they perform complex cardiac surgery for the people of Cameroon and those from many other African countries. It is hard to believe this was all started by five brave women only 80 years ago. What a legacy and gift!
This long trip also offered me a glimpse into the lives and living conditions of much of the Cameroonian populace and it has left me struggling in mind and heart. How does one possibly reconcile such inequity in our world?
On a much lighter note, I have included a list of some of the things I saw on the backs of motorbikes during this trip!
·       Another motorbike.
·       A family of 5.
·       A complete chest of drawers.
·       Long lengths of 6 inch metal pipe balanced on the head of the passenger.
·       Five animal cages—with animals.
·       Innumerable water/palm oil jugs.
·       My boss, Sister Nadege!

May God bless the people of Cameroon and all of Africa. 


picture of Sister Nadege

picture of houses

4 comments:

  1. Hi Carol. So nice to hear of your experiences -- They help remind me of daily reality in rural Africa as I currently do work on Zimbabwe now and help to communicate the work of I-TECH (International Training and Education Center on Health), the University of Washington program that operates all over Sub Saharan Africa, though not Cameroun. One thing you may not have seen yet on your motorcycle observations is this: Safe needle boxes (made of cardboard) being transferred on the front (meaning in front of driver) and back of a motorcycle. Now that is frightening to view, especially if an accident should happen.
    Keep doing all your good work. Put your feet up from time to time. :) Imad and I just returned from LA. Very different from Doaula, to be sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your latest post today, and seeing that the Motherhouse is in Shisong and the hospital is St. Elizabeth, I know the congregation of sisters with whom you are working. I am the communications director for the Sisters of St. Francis of Assisi, and the sisters there are part of our Common Venture. Please say hello to them for us! And blessings on your mission!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am happy to hear from you and I will definitely pass on your hello.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete